Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bjorn's heart was broken (again)

I love animals. I adore furry creatures. But I loved them more when I was a young girl.

I remembered bringing home some stray kittens. My grandmother, who took care of me back then, would often get angry but would end up adoring the pets I brought home. I also remembered crying whenever I saw some homeless cats and dogs, and yes, even chickens.

And if there was one thing I handed down to my son, it was my being animal lover.

Last Monday, 'Miming', Bjorn's pet kitten passed away. Please understand, 'Miming' was just maybe a couple of weeks old when Bjorn saw her on the street. My grandma tried to feed her but of course, she couldn't take solids yet. Then I remembered the kitten I adopted when I was young. We bought a feeding bottle for the kitten and patiently fed it. So, that's what we did too. I used one of Lexi's old bottles and tried to feed 'miming'. Still, the frail body of the poor kitten gave in.

Bjorn was broken-hearted. I was not surprised to see him cry because last year, he also cried over his dead bird. This time though, his cries were more painful. I know because I saw him, heard him and felt how upset he was. Even if it happened 2 days ago, he would still cry whenever he remembered 'miming'.

I tried to explain to him that 'miming' already gave in because her body was weak and she was too young to be separated from her mom. I even told him that when he was still a baby, he never wanted to be away from me. So did the kitten, with her mom.

I knew he understood but another lost of a pet was really difficult for him. Maybe he was thinking that he did not give his best to raise the pets. This, I told him, was not his fault. There were just some things that we couldn't hold onto. No matter how hard we try.

Bjorn, if ever you'd read this someday, I'd like you to know that mommy was hurt too. Hurt that your pets died, but more hurt to see you so sad, so broken. And just so you know, I am still very proud of you because you already have the sense of responsibility at that very young age. I love you.

"Miming" and "Woody" (the bird) will always be remembered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment