Wednesday, February 23, 2011

bookworming

The sentence "I love reading" is an understatement for me.

Books are my favorite go-to-work buddy. Instead of ranting about traffic jams or drivers screaming at each other, I open a book and read on a jeepney or shuttle to work.

I have been reading the works of Cecelia Ahern and Agatha Christie for some years now. I don't know but I am already accustomed to the way they write that whenever I'm reading their book, I feel like I'm just listening to them. They are my favorite authors and I love them both!

The stories they wrote fall on two different genres. Cecelia Ahern's works were more of modern love-story-come-fantasy-fictionists. Agatha Christie, on the other hand, was known for her detective stories.

My favorite Cecelia Ahern book is IF YOU COULD SEE ME NOW. (SPOILER ALERT!) It's somewhat magical in a sense that the protagonist (Elizabeth, a stiff woman who knows only three colors -- black, white and beige) fell in love with an invisible man, Ivan. While reading it, I also found myself falling for him. :P Cecelia Ahern made Ivan so lovable that everything he said was worth contemplating on. His character was so positive and his positivity was contagious.


Here's one of the things he said:

"You've come to give me a piece of your mind. You know that phrase is really beautiful. The mind is the most powerful thing in the body. Whatever the mind believes, the body can achieve. So to give someone a piece of it... well thank you. Funny how people are always intent on giving it to the people they dislike when it really should be for the ones they love."

That's what he always was -- someone who turns negativity to something good. And I love him. :)

It was a tearjerker (well, maybe for someone who cries over the shallowest things like I do). I cried buckets while reading it (and even after). Why? Just get a copy of it. No more spoiling here! >.<


As for Agatha Christie...Well, what can I say? She's a terrific writer. I love reading all her books. She never failed to amaze me (and maybe all her readers) in every book of hers that I read. One moment I thought I was a genious who knew who the culprit was...only to find out in the end that I was a fool who believed I was really a genious. :P That's what her books were all about -- stories which would keep you guessing till the very last leaf of the book.

My top favorites?

"And then there were none"
"Murder on the Orient Express"
"The Mysterious Affair at Styles"


I've read about 12 of her books and I know I have to read a lot more.

Awwww. I miss reading Agatha Christies. :( Right now, I'm reading a book by Cathy Kelly (who is an Irish writer, Oh, btw, Cecelia Ahern is Irish). I have just started so I couldn't make any feedback yet.

Thanks to my dearest friend who gave me lots of books as a birthday gift. Mwah! Mwah!

I guess I'll be writing more about books that I've read next time. :) Yay, am I starting to be a book critic too? :P




No comments:

Post a Comment